I’ve added a remote branch to Github so that you can track the latest progress of my development. Things are very experimental right now, but I’ve had success so far. I’m hoping to get the boards in by the second week of August. Note that I’ve made a mistake on the LED controller version that’s on my website (wrong crystal size) — I’ll upload a new version of it when I get a chance. Also, I made a mini (1.4″x0.88″) LED controller board that uses all surface mount components.
The last major hurdle for the LED controller is finally done. I’ve finished designing a bootloader that allows you to program the device over the RS-485 network, thereby eliminating the difficulties I had originally experienced with in-circuit JTAG programming. I’ve also finished a Python library and application that makes working with the bootloader quite easy.
I just need to do one final verification of the LED controller boards and then I’ll order some. After that, it’s just a matter of assembly and writing some programs to control the colors of the system.