After a lot of re-routing and a bit of resizing, I’ve finished version 2.0 of the ACRIS boards. Hopefully this version will feature things like no more goddamn reworks. I think I’ve fixed everything.
I’ve added a few new features. For example, I brought all the XERR pins of the LED controllers back to the microcontroller so that the micro can perform analysis to see if there are any thermal errors from the chips.
The LED controllers have enough room around them such that it’s possible to put cute little DIP heatsinks on them. Screw terminal banks can be used, or you can just use the provided pads, which extend to the edge of the board, and solder to them.
I’ve also started a new version of the firmware that features improved commands and setting LED values using full 12-bit precision.
I’ve finally redesigned the ACRIS boards… It’s only been like half a year. This new design has a ton of fixes, such as adding a pull-up to the blank signal on the LED drivers to prevent the LEDs from flashing when the power supply starts up. The power subsystem is roughly the same, though I removed the jumper to bypass the voltage regulator (it’s easy to just jumper the regulator instead). All of the ports are on one side, as are the status LEDs.
And, most importantly, there’s now a set of screw terminals on the other side for the LED outputs. This makes wiring LEDs up a lot simpler. I’m also planning to redo the footprint a bit so that they can also be easily used as board edge connectors.
My plan is to make another Myro order fairly soon. Now that my current LED drivers are all up and running in our living room, I want quite a few more for new projects!