So a while back, I made a usb-to-serial converter board using FTDI’s most beloved chip: the FT232RL. This is the same chip that Sparkfun uses in their breakout boards. I just didn’t want to pay Sparkfun prices for something I could etch myself.
Well, I’ve given ubbcom a little upgrade.
First, I added the REN and RTS pins. The former is good for hooking the board up to a RS-485 level convert chip, since it can control the tri-state direction. The second I use along with the other handshake signals to bitbang program the ATtinys for bcard.
Additionally, I decided to actually bite the bullet and buy USB connectors. PCB approximations of USB connectors just don’t work. Really. They’re useless. So, I bought some connectors off of Digi-Key and made a footprint. I managed to actually orient the footprint the wrong way around the first time I tried this. That’s like the second time I’ve done this to USB connectors now. Nothing like epoxy to save the day there:
I chose to go with USB A connectors because I don’t trust mini connectors, they’re cheaper than micro connectors, and because I have USB extension cables, which work great. But yeah, now that I have a couple of these guys, it’s easy to communicate with chips, bitbang program them, etc.